I have noticed on a couple of recent projects that I’ve built, that Symbolset’s keyword replacement doesn’t work as expected on Android devices (specifically, Android version 4.3, but it may affect other versions as well). I don’t think I ever came across any documented fixes for this issue, which I assume is because Symbolset’s website says that keyword replacement works on Android.

Hopefully this post will be helpful to others in my situation, but in all honesty, I’m writing this mainly for myself because I always forget how I’ve worked around the problem in the past. So here is the fix that I’ve found:

Text Rendering

Symbolset has text-rendering: optimizeLegibility; in the default CSS files, which seems to be part of the issue. The first step is to override this style for Android. You can do it however you want, but I typically just add a UA sniffing line in my JavaScript and add the class “android” to the html element of the page. Then, I simply add the following code (change out the classes to match whichever Symbolset fonts you’re using):

.android .ss-standard,
.android .ss-social,
.android [class*="ss-"]:before,
.android [class*="ss-"].right:after {
    text-rendering: auto;

Modify the Symbolset JavaScript

The next (and final) step is to modify each individual Symbolset font’s corresponding JavaScript file. This is a pretty simple process, because all you need to do is change one character. The first line of the file is a conditional that checks the browser’s user agent. Simply change Android [1-2] to Android [1-4] to include Android version 4. You’ll obviously have to include the JavaScript file on your page, but I assume you’re already doing that for legacy browser support.

0 Cool post, man.